WHAT IS STEM?
STEM education fully engages students in learning Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics using an integrated, interdisciplinary approach to learning that provides hands-on and relevant learning experiences for students. STEM teaching and learning goes beyond the mere transfer of knowledge. It engages students and equips them with critical thinking, problem solving, creative and collaborative skills, and ultimately establishes connections between the school, work place, community and the global economy.
STEM education helps students:
- make technology integral to their learning
- use a hands-on approach to learning
- engage in evidence-based learning
- adopt a learn-from-our-mistakes philosophy
- understand – and then apply – math and science concepts across the curriculum.
Each of thee skills is a foundation for success in college and future careers.