West Point High School Seniors' Workshops with
Dr. Alice Christie
Searching Tools by Google
- Google Search
- Google Advanced Search
- Image Search
- News Search
- Google Translate
- Google Trends
Web Content Creation/Web SharingTools
- WordPress.org A free and open source software that makes personal publishing as easy as word processing. Make your life easier by keeping a classroom or subject blog.
- Bookr A tool to create and share a photo book using Flickr images. Search for images, add text, and get it published.
- Slidestory Tell a story. Share your photos. Narrate in your own voice.
- Comiclife A very intuitive comic creator with a free trial and a modest purchase price. It’s lots of fun and great for those reluctant writers. Comic Life lets you create astounding comics, beautiful picture albums, how-tos... and more!
- VoiceThread Online presentation site that lets you attach audio and video. Other users can leave audio and video comments.
- CAST UDL Book Builder This wonderful and free online tool allows you to create, share, and publish your own interactive digital books.
- Carbonmade: Your Online Portfolio One fabulous way for students to create a free online portfolio to share work from your clasess with other students, or even submit as an online collection for competitions or college admissions.
- Glogster.com/edu: Digital collage tools for schools
- DarkCopy A text editor for free writing. This is for those who enjoys the simplicity of a typewriter, and wants to increase productivity by focusing only on writing.
- lulu: Self publishing online
- xtimeline: A free web-based timeline. Easily create and share timelines with pictures and videos.
- Wallwisher: An online notice board maker (or bulletin board if you choose)
- Warning Sign Generator Make your own caution and warning signs in a flash!
Photo Sharing and Editing Tools
- Flickr A place to gather copyright-free images to support your learning in all content areas.
- Picasa: Google’s photo sharing service
- picnik: online photo editor
- Blabberize: Make your images talk.
Web 2.0 tools let you share your presentations anytime, anywhere, with anyone you like.
- SlideShare: Already have a presentation? Use this tool to upload your PowerPoint or Keynote slides (and Adobe PDF Portfolios and SMART Board presentations) and share them.
- 280 Slides: Don't have Power Point or Keynote? You can create stunning presentations from scratch (and for free) with 280 Slides. There's no software to download—and when you're done you can share it any way you like.
- Prezi: Break out of the box! Prezi.com throws the slide-show model out the window and presents a giant canvas instead. (It also throws paint brushes out the window in favor of bubbles.)
- Picsviewr: Looking to jazz up your presentation? Just export and upload it to Picsviewr and add some unexpected touches.
- Bitstrips: Make and share your own comic strips with thousands of others
Blog and Wiiki Tools
- Blogger One of the best online blog creation sites for stuidents and classrooms. User friendly and privacy features are now available.
- Class Blogmeister This blog site was set up specifically for educators and students. There are a number of privacy controls that are already built-in.
- edublogs A free blog-hosting site for educators and students of all ages.
- Wikispaces Create a public, online wiki for free. This is great for group assignments and class collaborations.
- Weebly Create your own website or blog, very easy to use!
- Tizmos A place to put thumbnails of sites you use frequently. You can see all your favorite sites and access them anywhere!
- Delicious Social bookmarking site where you can save bookmarks and organize them with tags. Add friends to your account and keep track of bookmarks left by each friend.
- Mind 42 A free mind map maker with an emphasis on collaboration. Google instant messenger is built in and if you are a Wikipedia fan there is also an option to attach an article.
- bubble.us This easy and free online tool allows you to brainstorm ideas, save your mind map as an image, share with students, and create colorful mind map organizers.
- Gliffy Research shows that graphic organizers promote strong thinking skills and comprehension for all age groups. assign groups to create study guides using this collaborative tool.
- Dabbleboard Make whiteboard drawings and graphic organizers in an online space you can share with others. Since more than one computer can work on the whiteboard at a time, students in multiple locations can add to the board at the same time.
- Wordle Turns any given text into a word cloud then picks out the most common words and give them prominence by increasing their size. Use to synthesize, analyze, and much more.
- Tagxedo: Like Wordle but a step farther as text can be used to build bigger images
- LibraryThing Catalog your books online and connects with people who read the same things you do! Amazing site!
- Dabbleboard: Online whiteboards & organizers./ Dabbleboard is an online collaboration application that’s centered around the whiteboard.
- Diigo: Keep all your bookmarks in one online location. View other's bookmarks as well.
- Spicy Nodes Innovative way to organize your web visits
- Popplet: An easy way to share visual ideas
- TimeToast: Fantastic timeline visualization tool to understand history
Video Creation Tools
- Xtra Normal A simple, but effective, tool for creating text to speech animated movies.
- Photo Peach An online tool to create movies by uploading photos to make slideshows, then share your shows via email, IM, or Facebook.
- One True Media A blast for doing presentations. Make amazing videos by mixing your photos and video with the One True Media's effects, text and music.
- Animoto Upload pictures and sounds and create professional looking videos that can then be downloaded and shared online.
- Animoto.com/education: Specially designed with students, teachers and classroom audiences in mind.
- Gizmoz.com Animate yourself. It's fun and easy and all you need is one photo.
- Vimeo this video-hosting site has a clean interface, includes HD video uploads, and videos can be kept private. A respectful atmosphere lets you & your students’ creativity thrive.
- DoInk: Create animations using this simple website
- Kerpoof: Cool way to make a movie, card, picture, and share it all
- Quizlet Make your own personalized flashcards to help you tudy for tests and develop good study habits.
- Ediscio Another collaborative flashcard tool.
- Penzu Keep an online journal, class notes, study reminders using this site.
- WordSift Used for vocabulary in any subject are. Analyze text and get information about the vocabulary in it.
- Funnelbrain Create flashcards for studying in a variety of courses from basic to advanced. Take flashcard one step further by using collaboration, and also choose the next cards based upon correct or incorrect answers.
- EasyBib: The free automatic bibliography and citation maker
- Today’s Meet Use the live stream in the classroom to make comments, ask questions, and connect with other learners.
- Writeboard A place to create shareable, web-based text documents. Write solo or collaborate with others.
- PrimaryPad: A web-based word processor designed for schools that allows pupils and teachers to work together in real-time.
- Wikipedia A collaborative information sharing environment
- Ted.com A series of talks by a variety of striking people. The goal is to bring people from the worlds of technology, entertainment, and design together.
Plug-Ins and Browser Extensions (Requires Downloads)
- Apture Apture is a browser extension that gives you instant access to all of the web’s information. Just highlight a topic to learn more! Makes learning and finding information easier since it is in linear form. Your information’s deeper meaning occurs with richer context in a shorter time frame.
- Zotero: A free, easy-to-use Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources.
- list-it: take notes quickly! A fast, simple, free, Open Source (MIT License) note-taking tool for Firefox. Designed by a research group at MIT, List-it lets you quickly take short notes to yourself + quickly access them whenever and wherever you need them.
- FloatNotes: Add notes to websites, including comments, links or even images. It can help you doing research on the web, remind you, etc. It is simple and easy to use.
- Vocabulary Highlighter: Highlights all words that were added into a list while browsing. Use this add-on to study languages or be informed of the information you are interested in.
- Video DownloadHelper: An easy way to download and convert Web videos from hundreds of YouTube-like sites. This works also for audio and picture galleries.
- WOT - Know Which Websites to Trust: WOT shows you which websites are trustworthy based on millions of users' experiences. WOT is easy-to-use, fast and completely free.
- Read It Later: Save pages to read later with just one click. When you have time, access your reading list from any computer or phone, even without an internet connection!
West Point School District Vision, Mission, and Beliefs & Values
Vision: All students will be successful.
Mission: The mission of the West Point School District is to provide an educational system characterized by innovation, individualized instruction, and shared responsibility in a safe and supportive environment.
Beliefs and Values: We will not compromise the quality of our educational purpose. We will not tolerate anything that diminishes the dignity of any person. We will engage in no program, course or activity that does not directly contribute to the elementary and secondary instructional program.